Manchester – Hybrid
Hi! we're cinch, a fresh kind of service that makes life easier for motorists. We know what drivers want, so we’ve ripped up the rule book to make sure they get it, faff-free!
Our mission – It’s simple, to take out all the irritations and hold-ups that make changing cars trickier than it needs to be. With backing from a large multinational company and Private Equity finance, this is a unique opportunity to join a start-up in the early stages of our growth and to join a brand that you’ll be proud to have played a key part in building.
Location – Our product and tech teams are historically based in the heart of Manchester whilst our marketing and operations departments are based in Surrey. This role is hybrid, with an expectation of visiting the office a few times per month.
You – So, do you have a faff-free filter? Do you want to work in an energetic team, with open-mindedness and passion? We're looking for people who are agile, full of ideas and want to challenge the norm. We are recruiting a number of senior technical individual contributors to support our product engineering squads.
At cinch, we do things a little differently. Our Engineering Managers look after people, not technology. The role is hands-off with no coding responsibilities. (If you know Pat Kua’s 5 archetypes, the role is most similar to the Team Lead example). You will work closely with the other Squad-supporting roles (Technical Leads, Product Owners, Delivery Managers and Automation Engineers) to provide a challenging and rewarding working environment for our software engineers, ensuring that they maintain a sustainable work/life balance and that they have a psychologically safe environment in which to innovate and grow.
what you’ll be working on
– Helping engineers to become high performers via personal & professional development: listen to them, support them when things are hard, and celebrate their successes
– Regular 1:1s, goal setting, career paths, development plans, constructive feedback, and stakeholder management to help build relationships
– Working closely with the Talent Acquisition Team to identify, interview and recruit high quality engineers
– Forming an effective team with the other leadership roles working with the Squad to maintain a stimulating, challenging, and rewarding workplace culture for the engineers
– Collaboratively identifying potential areas for improvement in working practices and helping drive their implementation
– Enabling healthy Squad processes and consistent delivery with an achievable and sustainable cadence
– Structuring teams for optimal output, spotting and filling gaps with an eye to future workloads
– Advocating for active participation in the Communities of Practice to support the education and growth of our engineers
– Fostering collaboration & enabling knowledge sharing
things we look for in you
– An empathetic servant leader, experienced in line managing software engineers
– A technical background (preferably in a product environment) to provide credibility to the engineers you’ll be managing
– Capable of building long-lasting trust-based relationships with the engineers
– People focussed; you care about helping them achieve their goals without sacrificing themselves
– Experience managing multiple engineers/teams
– Passionate about building and enabling autonomous cross-functional teams
– Take pride in being able to communicate clearly
what you'll get in return
– Competitive Salary depending on experience
– Annual bonus
– 25 days holiday a year plus bank holidays
– Stakeholder pension
– Employee discount and reward scheme
– Flexible home working with some days a month in the office post pandemic
Diversity and inclusion
cinch wants to help all kinds of people in the UK find and buy a car. So it makes good sense to have all kinds of people working with us on the challenge. Conversations and the decisions they lead to are better for featuring different voices. Representation matters.
And doing your job while not being your authentic self is not faff-free. Being free to be the best of who you are as you soar to professional greatness is the kind of business we commit to creating, as one.
Apply for this role